Vice President of DevelopmentCompany: The United Way of Greater New Bedford
Date Posted: October 18, 2017
The United Way of Greater New Bedford (UWGNB) fights for the health, education and financial stability of every person in the nine communities it serves. We are actively involved in our communities, supporting organizations and strategically creating initiatives where gaps exist. The organization has grown and now it is investing in a Vice President (VP) of Development. This new position has been created to increase funds raised, effectively engage with our supporters, and attract a whole new generation of donors who embrace the organization and its mission.
The ideal candidate is a dynamic, strategic, results-oriented self-starter with superb written and verbal communications skills. He or she must be a charismatic leader and energetic, seasoned fundraiser with a successful track record of cultivating, soliciting, and closing annual and major gifts while building and sustaining relationships with volunteers, donors, and prospects.
Position Summary: Reporting to the President & CEO, the VP of Development will manage and expand all aspects of UWGNB's development program in order to effectively support its mission and strategic initiatives. Key components of the development program include: workplace giving, corporate sponsorship, planned and major gifts, grants and special events. The VP of Development will place an emphasis on raising major gifts and growing the organization's donor base across all levels. The VP of Development will collaborate with UWGNB's communications, program strategies and marketing functions to increase the organization's presence and relevancy in the communities it serves. This position is responsible for meeting annual fundraising goals established by the President & CEO, and Board of Directors, with increasing benchmarks over time.
Specifically, the VP of Development will:
- Provide organizational leadership for fundraising strategy
- Develop annual fundraising budgets and plans
- Identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward current and major donor prospects
- Build and manage a portfolio of donors concentrating on donors giving $1000+
- Oversee annual workplace giving campaign, in collaboration with Director of Corporate Relations
- Lead and oversee annual appeal efforts
- Manage and implement annual direct mail and online giving campaign, including creation of materials
- Research and apply for grants from foundations, government agencies and other grant-making bodies
- Organize and conduct development events, including cultivation, niche and special leadership events
- Supervise Director of Corporate Relations and lead volunteers
- Interface and oversee Resource Development Committee
- Develop and refine overall department policies and procedures
- Oversee and track individual gift documentation and acknowledgement
- Ensure the maintenance of donor database and design efficient policies and procedures around its use
- Participate in the organization's strategic planning process
- Participate in personal professional development activities to maintain up to date knowledge of fund development and fundraising theory, practice and trends
- Serve on appropriate committees as assigned by the President & CEO
- Perform other duties as assigned by the President & CEO
Requirements: Bachelor's degree required. CFRE and/ or Masters preferred. Candidate must have at least ten years' work experience in non-profit fundraising, including experience in soliciting/obtaining major gifts, grant writing and administration, volunteer management and event planning. Knowledge of strategic planning, successful public speaking, and training/facilitation experience required. Valid driver's license and personal vehicle required. Position requires extensive local travel and occasional evening and weekend appointments.
Candidates should email resume and thoughtful cover letter with salary requirements to
firstname.lastname@example.org by November 18, 2017.
Please list subject as VP of Development.