Executive DirectorCompany: Providence Singers
Date Posted: March 7, 2018
ORGANIZATION: Providence Singers
POSITION: Executive Director
REPORTS TO: Board of Trustees
LOCATION: East Providence, RI
TO APPLY: Submit cover letter and resume to email@example.com by April 6.
Founded in 1971-72, the Providence Singers is a thriving choral arts organization presenting choral performances of distinction to connect singers, listeners, performers, and composers in creative exploration of the choral art. It performs diverse choral works to preserve the choral tradition and extends that tradition by commissioning and performing new compositions. Through its concerts and recordings, and by fostering the musical growth of its membership and young singers, it sparks creative connections that nurture lifelong choral singing and civic engagement.
The Providence Singers seeks a dynamic, strategic leader who is passionate about the choral arts. Working closely with the board of directors and Artistic Director, the Executive Director will help set the future direction for the Providence Singers, ensuring the organization maintains its core values of excellence, engagement, education and innovation. Finally, the Executive Director will be a spokesperson and face of the Providence Singers, serving alongside the Artistic Director as a key point of contact for major funders, partners, political leaders, board members and the community at large.
The Executive Director of the Providence Singers is the hands-on manager of the organization while also serving as the chief executive officer of the Providence Singers. The Executive Director works in partnership with the Artistic Director and several volunteer committees to provide leadership and overall direction for the organization in accordance with the long term direction and mission articulated by the Board of Directors.
The ideal candidate’s prior experience should indicate the characteristics and skills to accomplish the following:
- Vision: Along with the Artistic Director, lead the Providence Singers, its board, members, stakeholders, community members, staff and volunteers in executing the Providence Singers vision and mission.
- Operations: Develop, execute and monitor operational, marketing and educational plans in collaboration with staff and volunteers.
- Fundraising: Increase philanthropic support for the Providence Singers in an extremely competitive fundraising environment; proactively cultivate, solicit and steward new and potential individual and institutional donors to provide general operating support. Conduct grant research; match funders with projects, write, submit and track grants.
- Finance/Business Management: Manage day to day operations of the organization including budget development, tracking and reporting, negotiations of venue, partner and artistic contracts, payroll approval, etc.
- Board Development: Be the key partner and liaison to the Board of Directors regarding vision, strategy, finances, operations, financial resource development and organizational planning/progress; attract Directors committed to supporting the Providence Singers and its mission.
The ideal candidate will be an arts administrator with a passion for the choral arts in a community setting. Given the size of the organization, the Executive Director must be comfortable as a hands-on operations manager involved in transactional day to day activities while also serving as the executive leader in the organization. Specifically, the Executive Director must:
- Have excellent interpersonal and communication skills with a particular ability to engage a range of stakeholders.
- Possess exemplary written skills and grant writing experience.
- Experience in donor cultivation and fundraising
- Have strong strategic thinking and planning skills.
- Be able to work in an unstructured environment, self-starter, willing to challenge prevailing assumptions when warranted, and seek better approaches.
- Be an experienced administrator with the ability to execute on tasks and provide leadership for the Providence Singers operations;
- Be a passionate advocate for the Providence Singers and all its programs with funders, partners, board members, chorus members, volunteers, staff and audience.