Director of DevelopmentCompany: Community MusicWorks
Date Posted: March 1, 2018
The Director of Development for Community MusicWorks is responsible for the strategic planning, oversight and execution of the Individual Giving Program, representing approximately 60% of the overall $1 million fundraising budget for the organization. The Director of Development manages the year-long cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship activities, with a particular focus on leadership donors ($1,000+), as well as increasing the base of support, through both dollar increases and expanding the donor base.
The Director of Development collaborates with the organization’s Institutional Relations Manager on large and small-scale foundation, government, and corporate support fundraising efforts and activities, representing approximately 40% of the overall budget. This includes managing a portfolio of grant requests and researching potential funders.
The Director of Development will coordinate and collaborate on the silent and public phase efforts of the organization’s capital campaign, including the preliminary structure and strategy, as well as managing a portfolio of prospects and supporting the fundraising work of the Artistic Director, Managing Director, Capital Campaign Committee, and Board of Directors.
The Director of Development manages and oversees the work of two standing Board Committees: the Development Committee and the Governance Committee. Additionally, the Director of Development will provide updates on fundraising efforts to the Board of Directors, as well as presenting analysis and training at the annual Board Retreat.
The Director of Development must have an extensive background in fundraising, with demonstrated skill building successful philanthropy programs, major gift solicitations, Board member and volunteer management, as well as internal staff collaboration.
Salary and benefits information available upon request.
Interested applicants should send a resume and letter of interest to the attention of Sebastian Ruth, Founder & Artistic Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Design and implement an effective program for cultivation, solicitation, recognition, and stewardship of CMW donors and prospects
- Qualify and cultivate prospective donors
- Participate in all aspects of the gift cycle: initiate contact with potential donors; develop appropriate cultivation strategies, including working with volunteers;move prospects in an appropriate and timely fashion to solicitation and closure;participate in / make solicitations; oversee stewardship activities and opportunities for donors
- Manage a sub-set of CMW’s grants, in collaboration with the Institutional Relationships Manager
- Support Board, committee members, and executive leaders in carrying out fundraising strategies and solicitations
- Participate in developing plans and budgets for resource development
- Analyze data and conduct research to identify major gift prospects
- Work collaboratively with other CMW staff members to further the organization’s work and familiarity in the community, including marketing, communications, and concert production
- Report to CMW’s leadership on fundraising plans and progress
- Remain current on CMW’s plans and programs
Experience and Qualifications:
- Passion for the mission and work of Community MusicWorks
- Demonstrated ability to successfully design and manage year-long cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship strategies
- Demonstrated ability to analyze, monitor, and evaluate strategic fundraising plans
- Demonstrated ability to successfully solicit major gifts and to develop strategies for others to solicit major gifts
- Experience developing funding proposals to foundations
- Ability to understand and appreciate the needs and interests of major donors
- Demonstrated ability to manage and collaborate with staff
- Ability to articulate the case for support
- Excellent writing, interpersonal, and analytical skills
- Knowledge of tax laws that affect charitable giving, personal assets and estates
- Must be available and willing to travel to meet with donors and prospects, primarily locally
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 5 or more years of experience
- Sense of humor
About Community MusicWorks (www.communitymusicworks.org)
Founded in 1997 with the conviction that musicians can have meaningful careers that unite artistry and public service, Community MusicWorks is a community-based organization with an annual budget of approximately $1 million that builds long-term learning and mentoring relationships between professional musicians, children, and families in Providence, Rhode Island’s most diverse and underserved neighborhoods.
CMW’s mission is to create cohesive urban community—through music education and performance—that transforms the lives of children, families, and musicians. Our model is centered on the teaching, mentoring, program design, and performance activities of our twelve musicians-in-residence, including participants in a two-year Fellowship Program for young professional musicians.
CMW applies an innovative approach to music education that features the relationship between music and social justice. In 2010, CMW’s after-school programming was celebrated by First Lady Michelle Obama at the White House, and CMW’s Founder & Artistic Director was the recipient of a MacArthur Foundation Fellowship for his work “creating rewarding musical experiences for often-forgotten populations and forging a new, multifaceted role beyond the concert hall for the twenty-first-century musician.”